Can we get too much Vitamin D ?
Only from man made sources – not from the sun! It seems from everything I can find and read that getting too much Vitamin D is only possible from taking man made vitamin D. Even the Canadian Cancer Society admits there is an optimal range of Vitamin D for human health. We know that having too little of the sunshine vitamin is very bad for our heatlh. Having low Vitamin D puts us at risk for significantly higher risk of stroke, heart disease and death. Having a higher Vitamin D level actually could extend your life. Many new studies prove this vitamin is nothing short of a nutrition miracle. They are also saying having too much can also cause health problems. We have all heard the saying everything in moderation. Well when it comes to the sun and man made vitamins the only problem with too much Vitamin D is when you are not getting it naturally from the sun. The most common problem is a side effect of too much is high levels of calcium. This problem is called hypercalemia.
Some symptoms of too much Vitamin D are:
- Loss of appetite
- General weakness
- Kidney stones
These problems associated with too much of the Vitamin have only been found in people taking too much vitamin D from supplements. These side effects have not been seen from Vitamin D that is naturally made in the skin from UVB exposure.
Here’s what the Vitamin D Council states:
“Vitamin D is not really a vitamin at all – it is a pre-hormone that’s produced in your skin in response to sunlight exposure. As such, it is an integral part of human health and longevity.”
- Fact: Humans do need vitamin D to maintain health.
- Fact: Taking man made supplements can lead to overdose issues.
- Fact: Vitamin D from tanning beds or the sun has never led to overdose issues.
- Fact: Human skin makes more Vitamin D naturally than we could ever get from a natural diet.
- Fact: Having too little is dangerous to our health.
- Fact: The human body has a natural process to obtain and regulate Vitamin D levels from the sun.
- Fact: Tanning beds provide a viable alternative to natural sunlight during winter months.
- Fact: Studies show a positive association with tanning bed use and higher serum levels of Vitamin D.
- Fact: Avoiding the sun will damage your health – Period.
Tanning responsibly may be one of the very best things we can do for our overall health.
Listen to what the experts say:
Vitamin D deficiency is a world wide problem and is a Canadian Crisis.
Hundreds of studies now link vitamin D deficiency with significantly higher rates of many forms of cancer‚ as well as heart disease‚ osteoporosis‚ multiple sclerosis and many other conditions and diseases.