Benefits of indoor tanning
All Canadians Should All Be Tanning – Except Skin Type 1
I just read an email from the Joint Canadian Tanning Association. The Canadian Dermatology Association has started a national media campaign against indoor tanning. Even though it was proven in court a few years back that indoor tanning beds produce vitamin d in human skin just like the real sun outside. Except with a tanning bed we have control over how much exposure we get. Unlike the sun outside.
So it seems that the CDA would like people to stop tanning and take man made pills to get their vitamin d. They would also like everyone to come in and get expensive treatments for their skin so they can profit from our fear of the sun. Hmmm! They also want to ban teenagers from using tanning beds. However a teenager can go outside all day and burn a layer off thier skin – no regulations on that ?
I would rather my child was responsible and tanned in a reputable tanning salon. In a controlled fashion and learn how to tan responsibly. Teaching them how to get the most benefits from the suns rays while limiting any potential associated risks. Vitamin d and sunshine are a very important part of human health and enjoying the outdoors.
The CDA also would like us to slather on the sunscreen chemicals to avoid the sun. These same chemical sunscreens that are showing up in human breast milk. That’s right, these chemicals are seeping into the skin to the cellular level and are showing up in mothers breast milk. Want to feed your baby sunscreen ? Keep putting it on your skin.
I do not agree with using these harsh sunscreen chemicals to avoid the sun. Humans require sunshine desparetely for our basic human health. We have been too scared from the sun with over exagerated claims that are not backed by science. Claims that mostly apply to skin type 1 and do not apply to the average person.
I want our customers to know that we have exact standards of operation. Our goal is to provide tanning in a controlled environment to reduce any possible risk of burning and over exposure. We have trained operators and all our equipment is on timers.
Here are some key points for tanning indoors at our oakville tanning salon.
- We offer the most controlled sunbathing experience possible. Even Mother Nature can’t offer this.
- Tanning equipment can be dangerous if used incorrectly, just like any product or food. That’s why all client exposure is controlled by a certified and trained professional operator in our salon – Cars don’t hurt people, drivers hurt people. Abuse of equipment occurs in uncertified locations / clients being able to choose their own times. We practice responsible tanning.
- Timers turn off the equipment automatically, even if the client falls asleep.
- We do not overexpose clients: Our customers sunbathe – they don’t sunburn.
- Here is the risk based on the 2009 WHO IARC Report Data for indoor sunbathers:
- Commercial tanning equipment – increase risk 6%, if you include a Skin Type 1 person. This is about the same risk as the food we eat.
- Home Units – increase risk 40%, if you include a Skin Type 1 person. Someone that is not trained to use the equipment correctly. 7 times the risk of a commercial unit.
- Medical Units – increase risk 96%, if you include a Skin Type 1 person. High UVB content and medications used. Greatest risk of overexposure. 16 times the risk of a commercial unit.
Disclaimer: Most studies show increased risk for skin type 1. If you are not skin type 1 your risk is considerably lower. However they won’t publish those facts where they are easy to find. You have to dig to get the whole truth.
For more information on why everyone should be tanning for our health please visit Tan Canada.
I invite your feedback and comments on this or any other topic. I want to hear your opinions.